Now is a great time to pick up the basics on sale. As stores clear out winter merchandise to make way for spring fashion, look to pick up classic pieces that stand the test of time, such as:
- T-shirts (long and short sleeve) in neutrals: black, white, navy, beige.
- Cashmere cardigans, turtlenecks and mock neck sweaters are clearing out at great deals. Again, look for neutrals that never go out of style.
- Wool blend trousers and skirts
- Winter coats and jackets
- Scarves, hats and gloves
- Look for classic styles and quality fabrics.
- Avoid trendy prints and patterns that are not likely to be in style next season.
- Avoid fashion forward styles that have run their course. These are likely to be on sale at deep discounts, but it’s unlikely you will want to wear them next year as they’ll be out of style. Fashion forward styles are the most exciting but have the briefest ‘shelf lives.’