A couple of years ago, a British study showed that more than 80% of women over the age of 50 felt invisible in society. The same study showed that 70% of respondents over the age of 50 felt ignored by the fashion industry. As in, we no longer matter; we barely exist.
Further, just nine percent of women over 50 like what they see in the mirror. That means 91 percent don’t. Wow.
Here’s the thing. You are beautiful. You do matter.
Your self-sacrifice over the years to put everyone ahead of your own needs, however, means that you probably haven’t taken time for yourself in many years. That’s the whole reason I started Style on Purpose – to remind women to get dressed on purpose each day. Thoughtful consideration of what to wear, how to style your hair, what makeup to apply, which shoes to wear…
It’s surprising how just a few things can change your attitude. So here are some simple things you can do right away to better reflect your inside beauty on the outside:
- Pick up a new lipstick, in a colour you haven’t worn before.
- Change your hairstyle. Nothing is more aging than having the same style for 10 years.
- Add a colourful scarf or statement necklace to your outfit.
- Wear high heels.
- Wear sassy sunglasses. Not only good for your look, but sunglasses also help protect your eyes.
- Most of all, be gentle with yourself.
It’s ok to give in to things you can no longer do or manage. It’s not ok to give up. So take the time for yourself each day to be your best, celebrate your spirit and let your inner beauty shine through.
As L’Oreal says, you’re worth it.
(NOTE: see post, Easy Beauty Boosts for ideas)