The long weekend is here and that usually signals the unofficial start to summer – even though it’s technically a month early. Summers are brief enough in Canada, so we like to extend them in spirit if nothing else!
What does the stylish mature woman wear this summer?
- Dresses – you can’t go wrong with a selection of light and airy sundresses, tailored shirtdresses or flowing cotton dresses. If your work environment frowns on sleeveless looks, pair a sundress with a light linen blazer or lightweight cardigan. Summer dresses are versatile enough to go from work to weekend, so maintain your chic style wherever you go.
- Walking shorts – the mature woman needs to take care when selecting shorts. Length is critical, so look for shorts that hit a couple of inches above the knee. Steer clear of short-shorts (even if you have amazing legs) as these are no longer age-appropriate. Pair your shorts with wedge sandals or gladiator flats. Flip flops are a no-no unless you’re just hanging out in the backyard or at the beach.
- Sun hats – from straw hats to visors, there are some great options to help keep the sun off your face and add a stylish flair to your outfit. Don’t be afraid to try adding a hat before you step outside.
- Colour – this season is bursting with the colours of the rainbow. Try bold pairings, such as hot pink and tangerine, mint and emerald, blush pink and chocolate or teal and navy. Mix patterns, but remember that the scale of the pattern is key – small scale patterns work well when paired with large prints. Try leopard and stripes or polka-dots and floral.
- Sunscreen – avoid sun exposure to delicate mature skin. Use SPF 30 or higher and reapply often throughout the day.